May 11, 2015

Creamy Avocado Zucchini Noodles

I stumbled across this recipe while looking up "Avocado Pasta" on Pinterest. I had never seen Zucchini noodles before, and I'm always looking for more ways to add more veggies to my diet.



Yields: 2 servings

Ingredients:

  • 1 avocado
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1/2 handful of fresh basil
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • handful of cherry/grape tomatoes, sliced in halves
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 zucchinis
Tools: Spiralizer

Steps:

Making the Zucchini Noodles:
  1. Use a spiralizer to create noodles out of the zuichini, I used the "thin" side of my Vegetti. 
  2. Optional: Sautee the zuicchini noodles over medium heat and a little bit of olive oil for a few minutes. The heat softens the noodles a little bit, and I preferred this as I like my food warm. 
Making the Creamy Avocado Sauce:
  1. In a food processor, add the avocado, garlic clove, basil, and lemon juice and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste. 
  2. To emulsify the sauce, add 1 tbsp of olive oil in a stream while. Emulsifying allows two liquid substances to bind, that do not normally mix. 
  3. Mix together with Zucchini Noodles, and add cherry tomatoes on top afterwards. 


ILLUSTRATED STEPS:

1. User a spiralizer to make the Zucchini Noodles. I bought this "Veggetti" that I found at a Kitchen Stuff Plus outlet retailing for $12.99 Canadian. I used the "thin" noodle side:


So this is the spiralizer, its fairly straightforward to use:




2. Optional: Heat a skillet to medium heat, and add some olive oil. Sautee for a few minutes. The heat will soften the noodles and warm up the food, which is how I prefer my pasta anyway.


How the Zucchini Pasta looks cooked:


3. In a food processor add the Avocado and Basil:


Next add one clove of garlic and 1 tbsp of lemon juice:


Grind your ingredients in the mixer. Then add 1 tsp of olive oil to emulsify your sauce:


The result is a nice creamy avocado sauce:



4. Chop some cherry grape tomatoes, mix your avocado sauce with the Zucchini Noodles. I served this with Lemon Rosemary Salmon



Leftovers for lunch tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment