Dec 29, 2014

Eating Out: Colombian Food at Mi Tierra, Toronto

I asked my cousin Wilson to pick a restaurant at a place we had never eaten before. Some of his Colombian friends had recommended Mi Tierra, a small traditional Colombian restaurant seated on St. Clair Avenue West in North West part of Toronto. Its so small that the restaurant doesn't even have a website, I had to look up the menu on Trip Advisor.

This place was so reasonably priced, a couple of dishes split between 4 people ended up being $15.33 after taxes. The atmosphere is very much a family restaurant, casual. So many posters and trinkets from Colombia, and in the restaurant there were a lot of families from Colombia, so if people from Colombia, living in Canada come to eat here, I knew we were in a good place for local food. 

The waitress was so kind and walked me through some of the popular dishes on the menu item. Here's what we ordered:

Bandeja Paisa / Typical Dish

A traditional Colombian dish of grilled beef, beans seasoned with sautéed tomatoes, avocado, Colombian sausage(chorizo), maduro (fried plantain), chicharron (bacon) & rice topped with a fried egg.

 Of course we had to order the Bandeja Paisa (typical dish) which gave us a variety of different meats (chicharron - bacon, Chorizo - Colombian sausage and grilled beef) for an amazing value. The portion sizes were very generous and this was easily shared between two people. 



I learned that the chicharron is cut from pork belly and cut in much larger portion sizes

Trucha Rellena / Stuffed Trout

An 8 oz. Boneless trout filet w/ filet of sole, baby shrimps, & mushrooms. 

The stuffed trout was surprisingly flavourful, with crisp outer layer and moist, juicy inner layer. It was actually a very light meal and I enjoyed this dish the most.


Empanadas Colombianas

A traditional corn flour patties with authentic seasoning of beef & tomatoes.

We started off with the Empadas Colombianas, little beef patties which tasted delicious with their house hot sauce and a great starter. 


Mejillones a La Marinara / Marinated Mussels 

Steamed mussels‏ with fresh tomatoes, onions, & herbs, sprinkled with diced parsley.

The bread is delicious with the dipping sauce!



I also made note of different meals coming out of the kitchen that we didn't order that looked delicious - the Picada / Meat Platter which is a combo‏ plate of grilled beef, chicken, bacon, Morcilla, Colombian sausage, fried plantain, & casava. I will have to try that the next time I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment