Nov 29, 2015

Cupcake Workshop at @ Le Dolci

My girlfriend Shay and I signed up for a cupcake decorating class at Le Dolci, a neat shop that sells cakes and offers class in the Trinity-Bellwoods area in Toronto. With our instructor Patricia, we decorated 12 cupcakes - some fondant and others using buttercream. 

This cupcake workshop was aimed at beginners, and for the me the learning was working with fondant. The buttercream instructions was using a 1M wilton tip, a "grass" tip and a circle tip.

We had two hours, which I realized was not enough time to really take our time with the cupcakes. I found myself rushing once the first half hour had passed.




The cupcakes we were given in the beginning:


After: 

The Christmas Cupcakes: 


The venue:


The Equipment - Cupcake spatula, a roller, some silicon moulds, stamps and cookie cutters!


After rolling a pattern on top of a thin slice of fondant, I used a cookie cutter to cut out the base that would go on top of the cupcake. You dab some water with a brush to get fondant to stick. 


To keep fondant from sticking, this is a nylon sock (dollar store) with corn starch - as you work with fondant it has a tendency to get sticky. 


Here I rolled some fondant into a silicon mould and then sliced of the excess with the spatula.


We were able to create little ornaments and decorative pieces using "stamps" punched onto thin layers of fondant.


We also used stencils. You simply coat the fondant with water, apply the stencil and dip into sprinkles.


Used the butterfly stamp to create these fondant butterflies. The more time you give fondant, the more it hardens and keeps it shape. So here I'm resting them "bent" so I can attach "flying" bent butterflies onto a cupcake instead of bent ones: 


Our instructor Patricia teaching us how to pipe grass:


The finished product:



















No comments:

Post a Comment