One of my non-Asian friends affectionally calls Dim Sum "Asian Tapas", and he isn't wrong. Traditional Chinese food served in small steamer baskets and is typically served with tea (in Cantonese this is referred to as "yam cha" - start by pouring tea for others before filling your own cup. ).
Dim sum is best enjoyed in groups, and typically eaten for breakfast/brunch - although many places do offer all-day dim sum. The dishes come steamed, fried, or baked.
Dim Sum has been a staple for me since I was little. My dad, uncle and I used to go on a semi-weekly basis growing up to Chinatown in Mississauga (just west of the city of Toronto) to eat dim sum that was pushed around in trays. I haven't frequented the Chinese restaurants north of the city of Toronto (Markham, Richmond Hill) where there is large Chinese community and delicious Chinese cuisine to be had.
I reached out to a good friend from university for a good place for dim sum and Hong Kong Milk Tea since I noticed delicious food pictures that popped up on my facebook news feed.
Dragon Boat Fusion Cuisine
160 East Beaver Creek Rd #4-6
Richmond Hill, ON L4B 3L4
Nestled in Richmond Hill (north of Toronto) by East Beaver Creek, Dragon Boat Fusion Cuisine is a busy family restaurant. Its presentation is pretty typical of most Chinese restaurants, round tables, big lineups but upon seating
Siu Mai 燒賣 (Steamed Pork Dumpling)
Steamed Pork, Shrimp and Dumpling. The most well known version is "Cantonese Siu Mai" (or alternative spelling is Shu Mai). Its usually made with ground pork, mushroom and shrimp. Sometimes they'll add bamboo shoots, water chestnuts topped with crab roe (the orange eggs on top!). These dumplings are uncovered. This is the usually the first dish I think of when I think of Dim Sum!
Deep Fried Taro Dumpling with Quail Egg (蜂巢鵪鶉蛋)
Used from the root of the taro fruit this was a delicious dumpling that was very different than other foods that I haven't quite tried before. Cripsy (and wispy) taro outside and savoury delicious interior, I believe it also came with pork filling!
Cha Siu Bao 叉燒包 (Steamed BBQ Pork Bun)
You can get the fried or baked version of this, the steamed version is much healthier and the BBQ pork is surprisingly slightly sweet interior.Har Gow 虾饺 (Steamed Shrimp Dumpling)
This is probably the only place that serves Har Gow with a whole shrimp. This is often served with Siu Mai (see above).Cheong Fun 牛肉腸 (Steamed Beef Rice Noodle Rolls )
A rice noodle roll is a "thin roll made of a wide strip of rice noodles, filled with shrimp, pork, beef, vegetables"1. Soy sauce is usually poured on top. I usually have rice noodle rolls stuffed with shrimp but decided to try beef this time.. it was delicious!
Turnip Cake (萝卜糕)
These "cakes" are squares made of shredded raddish and rice flour while pan fried.Daan Taat 蛋撻 (HK Style Egg Custard Tart)
There is a Portugese and English version of the egg custard tart, but this dim sum dessert hails from Hong Kong. Its a light fluffy pastry filled with a sweet egg custard. Great way to end off a savoury dim sum breakfast.
This place was great in that you could keep track of the dishes you ordered, the waiters would come and cross off the dishes that you had so you could see what was remaining. They would print a second sheet if you ordered more. A really great system that I think many restaurants could adopt.
Hong Kong Milk Tea at Marathon Cafe
I had heard of Hong Kong Milk Tea from a few of my Chinese friends. Its black tea served with evapourated or condensed milk and usually served at lunch time.Just across the street from the dim sum place we went to Marathon Cafe that sells HK-style milk tea and other small lunchables. Since I am a fan of bubble tea, I decided to try Hong Kong Milk Tea, however it wasn't as sweet as I usually like my drinks. Nonetheless it was a good experience











No comments:
Post a Comment