What's the Science Behind It?
Why do cakes bake unevenly in the first place? When I first started baking cakes, I noticed that I could never seem to get cakes to bake completely flat - they would always rise in the middle and create a "domed" cake and that would make for a tricky icing job.
Why does this happen? The cake pan metal heats up fast, thus cooking the part of the cake that is in closest contact with it faster while the center of the cake bakes normally. Thus you get an uneven surface.
How to insulating cake strips work? The bake even strips create a damp insulator around the cake cooling the sides of the pa so they don't get as hot as quickly.
I used Wilton Bake Even Strips that I purchased from my local Bulk Barn - I couldn't find these at Wal Mart or Canadian Tire.
How do I make my own cake strips? The Pancake Princess blog has a great tutorial for DIY Cake Strips, there's another tutorial over at A Cozy Kitchen for DIY Cake Strips.
Why does this happen? The cake pan metal heats up fast, thus cooking the part of the cake that is in closest contact with it faster while the center of the cake bakes normally. Thus you get an uneven surface.
How to insulating cake strips work? The bake even strips create a damp insulator around the cake cooling the sides of the pa so they don't get as hot as quickly.
Click image to expand:
Where can I get Insulating Cake Strips?
Where can I buy Insulating Cake Strips? There are many cake companies that sell Insulating Cake Strips. A quick amazon search reveals quite a few different brands.I used Wilton Bake Even Strips that I purchased from my local Bulk Barn - I couldn't find these at Wal Mart or Canadian Tire.
How do I make my own cake strips? The Pancake Princess blog has a great tutorial for DIY Cake Strips, there's another tutorial over at A Cozy Kitchen for DIY Cake Strips.
How do I use Cake Insulating Strips?
1. Soak your bake even strips in water for 5 minutes, and squeeze out excess water.
3. Wrap around your cake pans tightly, ensure no loose pieces:
4. Voila - each cake layer will bake even! Here are pictures from my Rainbow Cake that I made:
Package Instructions:
Click images to enlarge:











No comments:
Post a Comment